13 December 2017

Gluten-Free, Low-Carb Sufganiyot - and Life-Saving Tools for Hanukkah

25 Kislev 5778
First Candle of Hanukkah


Dough-not hole-style. OK, so they don't look as pretty as Israeli sufganiyot - but they taste better!
Hanukkah Sameah!


Low-Carb, Gluten-Free Sufganiyot

I finally got this recipe down to where it is truly doable and my husband likes loves the results. I adapted it from a regular recipe I found a few years ago because we have diabetes. I'm controlling mine mainly through a low-carb (LCHF) diet, and a small dose of medicine as needed. This one is pareve. I have been deliberately vague on things like exact sugar replacements because people have their favorites.

MACROS: I don't know what the macro-nutrients are for this, but I'd probably rate this as low-carb but not quite ketogenic because of the coconut flour and keto (thanks to the commenter below!). If someone who can actually calculate from this recipe would do so, I'd be happy to post it.

Ingredients:
5 T. / 75 g. equivalent of sugar replacer of your choice, or to taste*
1/3 c. / 80 ml. coconut cream (the thick part)
3 large eggs
1c. / 250 ml. coconut flour*
1/8 t. / .75 ml. baking soda
1 t. / 5 ml. baking powder
Spices: Nutmeg, cinnamon, ginger etc. to taste
1/2 t. / 2.5 ml. vanilla extract
1/8 t. / .75 ml. salt
Oil for deep-frying**

Combine dry ingredients separately from the wet ingredients (except oil) and mix each one well. Sifting the dry ingredients together works even better. Then combine wet and dry, mixing well. Electronic devices (mixer, food processor, whatever) are optional. I haven't used any.

Heat oil to 375 degrees F / 190 C. Shape sufganiyot to your preference (I made doughnut holes) from the dough and drop into oil, frying until golden brown, turning often. Drain excess oil when done.

Wait a few minutes, until the sufganiyot won't burn your mouth, but are still warm, before topping/coating (your choice) and eating. 😉 Remember that it's the oil that makes Hanukkah, not the flour.

*Coconut flour without extra sweetening is sweet on its own, so you may not have to use as much sugar replacer. Some people may not need any! Great for you if you're one of them!

**The exact oil to use for frying is somewhat of a compromise - I used a mixture of canola and a small amount of coconut oil - approximately 2T. / 30 g. of it — enough to cover the sufganiyot. Depending on who/what you read, canola oil is controversial in the low-carb world. 

I don't have a deep fryer, so I use a small saucepan. Thus, I didn't specify "how much canola oil" to use. It depends on the pan you're using to hold the sufganiyot while they fry.

 ***

Chanukah Life-Saving Tools (a lovely Vimeo production) comes from the Chaya Malka Burn Foundation. Our lives come first — that's what Hanukkah is all about!!!






3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Coconut flour is actually completely keto friendly!
Thank you for this recipe!

Chanukah Same'ach!!

HDG, Yerushalayim, E"Y Shlemah said...

Thanks for your comment, Anon, and you are entirely welcome!

I didn't know quite as much about keto last year as I do this year. You are right, and I've corrected the part about the coconut flour. ;)

Unknown said...

Thank you for sharing your recipe. I have been keto for nearly 6 years (!) and enjoy finding new recipes. I also love that most of my keto ingredients are kasher l'pesach, too. I sometimes add shredded coconut to baked goods - makes them moist and adds a nice 'donut' taste.

To get macros I put the ingredients into a keto app (ketodiet app) and, if this is 8 servings (I had to guess) it's: 4.4g carbs (net), 5.2g protein 7.6g fat and 124 kcal per serving. Happy Chanukah!