18 May 2021

Jacob's in trouble now. What to do? Part 2

 7 Sivan 5781 | Isru Hag Shavuoth

 

 

Wreckage of a bus and car in Holon, Israel, after a rocket attack, 11 May (Wikipedia)

 Part 1: Introduction | Part 2: Lod On Fire | Part 3:  What can we do, and what is best left to HQB"H?

 This article came to me already translated from Russian. If, like me, you happened to get it over WhatsApp first, you, too, appreciated that there was a translation to English AT ALL. I couldn't have done this myself; all I did was try to clarify the message and not make more mistakes in the process. 

The message speaks for itself. Emphases are mine alone. HDG

***

"Lod on Fire: Report from the Front Line"

by Alla Zohar

 My dear friends, every day I receive dozens of calls and messages from you, just to ask how things are in Lod. So I decided to answer everyone at once.

I want to name my post: "Lod on Fire" or "Report from the Front Line."

I think that all of you are more or less aware of what is happening in our country. I don't want to give any political assessments; I'll just tell you about our daily life.

Our mornings begin with questions in local groups: How can we get out of the city? Do doctors work? A child has high fever, how to get to the doctor so that they don't kill us on the way? Where are they shooting today? What's on fire? Where is being smashed? etc...

The rockets, which fall on our heads at the same time, already seem to be just child's play. It is much more terrible when every second you expect the thugs to break into your house and start killing your family. You can hide from missiles in a bomb shelter, but how do you protect yourself from those who break into your door, and it is just you against them? 

On the very first night in Lod, several houses were evacuated, in which Arabs and Jews lived together. When the rioters came, Arab neighbors guided them to Jewish apartments. People in the middle of the night jumped out into the street with children in their arms; they were forced to urgently evacuate. 

Does this remind you of anything?

Our husbands have not been sleeping for several nights, they guard our homes, and next to them are our sons. 

They have no weapons, they are absolutely defenseless in the face of thugs armed to the teeth. 

Settlers from Judea and Samaria come to us and stand next to our men, this is our protection. The police and the magawas (border police [mishmar hag'vul - HDG]) are not managing.

We see our cars and synagogues burning. 

People burst into burning synagogues to save sifrei Torah (Torah scrolls).

All night long automatic gun shooting does not stop. We cannot sleep. All Lod residents inform each other in various media groups what is happening on this or that street, where the crowds of pogromists have moved at the moment. We are afraid for our children, who are with us at home, and for our men, who are now trying to resist the crazed crowd on the street. Now we have again been warned that pogroms are expected after Friday prayers, be prepared (it was written on Thursday).

We live in constant fear, and mind you, all this is not happening somewhere in Syria, or beyond the so-called Green Line. All this is happening in our country, in its very center, a 20-minute drive from Tel Aviv.

Do you hear this on the news?

NO!!!

It all started from our city of Lod. We cried out for help! Nobody heard us. Now pogroms are already taking place in all Israeli cities with a mixed population.

If you have not yet understood, we have a war, a war for survival, and missiles falling from the sky will soon seem to us the lesser of two evils.

If the easy-going residents of Tel Aviv think that this misfortune will bypass them, I am afraid they are deeply mistaken. The situation is already getting out of control, and G-d forbid, the whole country can get set ablaze.

Remember, when people were evicted from Gush Katif? The people there shouted, "Come to your senses! What are you doing? If we are not there, missiles will fly to the center of the country."

That is what we are now witnessing.

People! Do not be silent, tell the whole world what is happening here.  

The world must know the truth! 

I want to end my post with the famous words of Martin Niemoeller:

When the Nazis came for the communists, I was silent, I am not a communist.

Then they came for the Social Democrats. I was silent, I am not a Social Democrat.

Then they came for the trade unionists, I was silent, I am not a union member.

Then they came for the Jews, I was silent, I am not a Jew.

And then they came for me, and there was no one to protest.

***

Part 3 is next.

No comments: